Our company researches and designs pipelines and tunnels based on international experience and the requirements of CEI IEC 41 standard. At present, the preparation of preliminary documents for the implementation of the modern monitoring system of 3 earth dams of ContourGlobal Hydro Cascade CJSC is underway.
Hydro Solutions carries out:
- Design of hydraulic structures
- Preparation of business plans, schemes, technical-economical substantiation
- Hydraulic, filtration, water resources management, stability and strength calculations
- Implementation of small hydropower plants and reconstruction projects, monitoring of hydraulic equipment
- Design and installation of control and measuring instruments and devices on dams, tunnels, large diameter pipes, and other hydraulic structures
- Technical quality control of construction works
Design of Hydraulic Structures
Design of Hydroelectric Power Plants
During the design of small hydropower plants, the main stage of engineering work is the design and working documents. The expanded format of the proposed documents can be submitted as follows:
- General layout solutions;
- Technological solutions;
- Constructive solutions;
- Environmental assessment;
- Feasibility study.
Design of dams
Earth dams are the most common hydraulic structures. They make it possible to block the flow of water (river or stream) and ensure minimal costs by using relatively simple technologies.
Concrete dams are one of the most common hydraulic structures we use to block rivers. As a rule, a concrete dam is designed in the absence of ground materials (for an earth dam), or if the river valley is quite narrow.
The main stages of design and calculations are:
- Connecting the dam to the foundation
- Comparison of the core and screen of an earth dam
- Filtration strength of the dam core
- Dam crest
- Galleries in the body of a concrete dam
Design of water intake and spillway structures
- Tower spillway
- Stepped spillways
- Floodgates and water passages
- Conjugation of spillway edge with tail water
- Spillway apron
Design of other hydraulic structures
- Retaining walls
- Coast guard structures
- Waterproofing structures
- Waterproofing of collectors and tunnels
- Waterproofing of deformed joints
- Waterproofing during the reconstruction of structures
Hydraulic, Filtration, Water Resources Management, Stability and Strength Calculations
Hydraulic calculations are performed for the design of spillways, culverts, diversion, and reclamation hydraulic structures: spillweirs, water abstraction canals, tunnels, pipelines, flumes, and several others. Hydraulic calculations are the basis for determining the dimensions of these structures.
The filtration calculations carried out in the project determine the flow rate of water filtered at the base of hydraulic structures, discover the level of groundwater, calculate the suffusion parameters of drainage, and a number of other purposes. Filtration calculations largely determine the geometry of the base of hydraulic structures.
Water resources management
Water management and water-energy calculations are developed for reservoirs, recreational and fish ponds, hydroelectric power plants, and pumping stations. These types of calculations make it possible to reveal the main technological parameters of these hydrotechnical structures: throughput, power, water head, filling and emptying times, and so on.
Stability and strength calculations
All structural solutions of hydro-technical structures are based on general and local stability and strength. Hydraulic structures are often in a difficult state of operation. Therefore, testing their strength and stability is considered to be the guarantee of the adopted project decisions.
Preparation of Business Plans, Schemes, and Feasibility Studies
The main task of project design is to substantiate the technical – economic efficiency (feasibility) and profitability of small hydropower plant construction. To determine the preliminary technical and economic indicators, first of all, a project plan is needed. We use the conclusions of engineering research (geodetic, geological, hydrological-ecological) as preliminary data.
- Selection of HPP location – Selection of possible location of hydroelectric power plant structures based on the scheme of hydropower use, spatial distribution scheme (taking into account the use of land for different purposes), existing facilities, topographic geological conditions, existing main electricity networks.
- Water-energy calculations – Perform calculations taking into account the average annual production, the conventional amount and time of capacity utilization of the installed systems, and other parameters.
- Installation Solutions – Installation of main and auxiliary hydraulic structures in the perimeter of hydraulic units and construction site.
- Planning – Planning of land characteristics and categories.
- Constructive solutions- Development of types and structures of fixed earth and/or concrete dam, spillway and culvert structures, pressure water conduits, hydroelectric power station buildings.
- Selection of technological equipment – Selection of the type and layout of the main hydraulic power equipment.
- Selection of mechanical equipment – Development of an enlarged composition of mechanical equipment for the main structures of the SHPP.
- Selection of electrotechnical equipment – Development of the main electrical circuit, preliminary selection of electrical equipment, development of the layout of the switchgear (outdoor switchgear, indoor switchgear).
- Development of power distribution scheme – Analysis of the adjacent electrical network and the conditions for connecting to it, determining the area of a land plot for the installation of power output equipment.
- Automation – Process automation through innovative technologies.
- Environmental solutions – Design of hydraulic structures that can withstand the normal water flow without the risk of flooding.
- Organization of construction – Elaboration of the main issues and the methods of construction for permanent and temporary hydraulic structures, cost transfer scheme, the preliminary determination of the construction period.
- Determination of technical and economic indicators- An important feature of the preliminary project plan of a small hydropower plant is that several options for the planning solution of the facility are considered, selecting the most optimal one. In some cases, the number of options discussed may be quite large.
Implementation of Small Hydropower Plants and Reconstruction Projects, Monitoring of Hydraulic Equipment
We are engaged in the study of the actual conditions and indicators of the existing HPPs. Based on the received data, we carry out reconstruction and re-equipment projects, monitor the necessary hydraulic equipment, and advise on the acquisition of appropriate equipment.
Technical Quality Control of Construction Works
The company monitors the compliance of the technical quality of the structure, construction materials, and equipment.
Our services are:
- Technical control – Control inspections and measurements, control of the volume of work, and testing.
- Control inspection – Checking the compliance of the already performed construction and installation works with the design solutions, construction norms, and rules. Control can be carried out in general or partially
- Opening – Checking the condition of buildings and communications covered with soil or other structures employing vertical holes or partial demolition of covering structures.
- Control measurement – On-site inspection of the construction and installation works carried out according to the design documents.
- Appropriate completion of the project – Checking if the construction is carried out according to the planned project and measurements.
Design and Installation of Control and Measuring Instruments and Devices on Dams, Tunnels, Large Diameter Pipes, and Other Hydraulic Structures
At Hydro Solutions, we design and install:
- Multi-path flowmeters in accordance with the requirements of the international CEI IEC 41 standard
- Hydrostatic level sensors, pressure and level transmitters, Manometers, pressure gauges
- Ultrasonic and electromagnetic flowmeters
- Vibrating wire, high temperature, standpipe and multi-point VW piezometers
- Strong motion accelerographs
- Direct and Indirect pendulum
- VW weir monitor, staff gauges, V-notch weirs & tanks with the possibility of continuous monitoring
- VW and LP displacement gauges, VW 3D crack meters, VW joint meters
- Weather stations
We provide consultation on the design, calculation, installation, and construction of hydro-technical structures.